Karen Lusby, soon to be Lewis, led this quilt group activity. All who wanted to participate made a total of 400 4" blocks, some light squares, some dark squares, some 1/2 square triangles of light and dark and some 1/4 square triangles of light and dark. We then divided these up into packets - one for each participant - of a designated number of each kind of square. Due to the large number of squares involved, we did 200 squares at a time and spread the distribution out over nearly a year. After the first distribution I was eager to see how the quilt was going to look and began putting the blocks together. Once started, I could not stop and here is the finished result - with smaller 1/2 square triangles as the border. All of my squares were made from scraps as was the border, the back of the quilt, and the binding....truly scrappy.
This quilt I call "Garden Fairies". Geri sent me a 1/2 yard scrap of fabric that showed garden fairies in several different scenes. I decided to fussy cut each picture and then frame then and piece them unto a background of light yellow foursquares. This quilt is lap size and I can picture a granddaughter cuddling up in it to read. We had a UFO (unfinished objects) challenge in our quilt group this past year and turning this bit of fabric into a finished quilt was my response.